Thursday 3 May 2012

GoodRead - Insurgent

I have to apologise in advance for this review as I am writing this when I'm not feeling 100% well (hence my Facebook/Twitter silence). But, here is my review of Insurgent, let's hit the ground running.

After the terrible events in Divergent, Tris is haunted by the past. Haunted by the pointless slaughter of her former Faction. Haunted by the death of both her parents. Haunted by her having to kill Will...

As Tris has to come to terms with her grief and guilt, she becomes more reckless in coming to terms with her past and her future. But, slowly, she realises that by doing this, she realises that the truth is still out there. And if she is going to discover what the truth is, she will have to make some shocking choices and sacrifices that could change everything...

 I'm going to say this now: I think Veronica Roth is trying to kill us.

 Seriously, she is! It's been a while since I have read a book that leaves me so breathless that I had to put the book down for a good few minutes to catch my breath. It never slackened its pace. Not for one page.

 It was interesting that Veronica made Tris suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and maybe Survivors Guilt, but it seemed perfectly natural to have Tris suffer with these and, because of these, to react the way she does in the situations that happen in this book.

 I don't want to reveal too much as I know there are many of you that want to read this book and are probably screaming "ENOUGH! ENOUGH!" but I have to warn you about the ending... Oh, the ending... That last few chapters will knock you all for six and will completely change the ball game. And Veronica does it in such a clever that you will not see it coming...

The only snag I had is that there was no catch up. You were thrown straight into the world (which is always a good thing) but you had no catch-up. After a year for most people, it's hard to remember which Faction means which virtue and it takes a while to go "Oh!" over it.

However, Insurgent. This is one breathless read that will leave you hunger for the third and final book in this trilogy. And we have to wait a year for it. A YEAR! *sulks* But still, we can reread Divergent and Insurgent. Just as long as we can put the books down everyone once in a while to caught our breath...       

(PS - quick thank you for Rosi at HarperCollins for letting me have a copy early. Not sure that was a wise decision, but I thank you nevertheless!)

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it was a spectacular ending! I did have a sneaking suspicion half way through want might come up at the end...but i was still gobsmacked. Such a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it-so annoying we have to wait a year for the final one. And the ending was amazing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete