Saturday 5 October 2019

Audiobook Review - Evidence of the Affair

  • Title And Author: Evidence of the Affair by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  • Publisher: Amazon Original Stories
  • Physical, eBook or Audiobook: Audiobook
  • Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: Bought
  • Length: 1 Hour 19 Minutes

Ok, this was a bit of a curveball. After audiobooking The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and totally enjoying myself with it, I was going to read Daisy Jones and the Six. I even bought the hardback for a £5 when it was on offer. And I have every plan to read this. Plus, with the past few months reading more “grown-up” reads and, every now and again, feeling a bit uncertain of the Pewter Wolf, its future and whether I still am a YA book blogger and am now more an adult book blogger (I am in my 30s, after all), I was planning to have a month or two reading whatever the **** I wanted. 

So, why did I decide to audiobook this? Well, I requested it on Amazon’s Prime Reading (don’t ask how I discovered this - I have Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine on this and, from everyone’s reaction, I need to read this soonish…), then changed my mind but, somehow, I downloaded and kept the audiobook version and, one day, after a long day at work and knowing I had a bit of a drive home (for once I drove to work, not car-shared), I popped this on as wasn’t in the mood for music and had caught up with my podcasts & audiobooks (*coughs* You haven’t listened to Kings of the Wyld and Great Small Things yet, Andrew *cough*). 

It’s 1976 and David Mayer receives a letter from Carrie Allsop, a woman he has never met. In the letter, Carrie reveals that she’s discovered that her husband and David’s wife are having an affair. From their correspondence, the two reveal their shock, hurt and the painful details about their spouses’s affair. And therough their letters, the pair comfort each other as they try and figure out what they are going to do next…

I got sucked into this novella. It’s really short - an hour and 19ish minutes - so I did it in one evening, and I find this novella gripping as, at the heart, is two people, writing each other letters trying to figure out what to do next and the friendship that evolve from these letters. There was something hugely satisfying and addictive about listening to this. 

I do think the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was better, because of the glitz and glamour and the issues it raised. Plus, I know some of you and novellas a tad tricky to read (believe me, I get this. Novellas and short stories are tricky creatures).  But Evidence of the Affair is just as strong as it’s a more intimate affair. There is a close circle of characters (mainly two but we do have letters from the cheating husband and wife) and the emotions involved are revealed, rather than hidden behind smoke and mirrors. Plus, there is something more intimate and personal about this story being told solely in letter form. It’s almost as if like reading someone’s diary. 

I did enjoy this and this makes me excited to read Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment