Tuesday 17 March 2020

eBook Review - The Case of the Drowned Pearl

  • Title And Author: The Case of the Drowned Pearl by Robin Stevens
  • Publisher: Puffin 
  • Physical, eBook or Audiobook: eBook
  • Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: Bought
  • Length: 96 Pages

HAPPY BELATED WORLD BOOK DAY!!! How are we all doing? Recovering from our book hangovers? 

I’m still, at the time of writing this, reading my current BEAST of a book (don’t ask, it’s LONG so am audiobooking like heck at the moment), but I wanted to do a tiny write-up of The Case of the Drowned Pearl, a mini-mystery written especially for World Book Day 2020 (plus, this will tie fans over till the final book in the series is finally published later this year)!

While on a seaside holiday, Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong (aka the Detective Society) among with friends (and rival detectives) George and Alexander discover the body of famous swimmer Antonia Braithwaite - aka The Pearl - on the beach. Everyone presumes she drowned by accident as she was training for the Olympics, but the Detective Society aren’t so sure. If she had drowned in the sea, why does she smell of soap and not seawater? 

It’s such a nice, little story. I could have easily devoured this in one sitting but forced myself to slow down and savour it. I really should read the series from the start and not drop in and out of it as I always enjoy myself when I read Daisy and Hazel. I might have to backtrack and read a few before the ninth (and final) novel in the series is released.

As it is a short story/novella, I did figure out who done it quite quickly (it’s rare that I do and I get it right!) and I do think this could have had an extra few pages, but I like the way this feels. It had all the trademarks of the novels I have read in the series, but there were one or two lines that characters said to each other that made me go “We are in the endgame now. Robin is setting things up for their last hooray!” and it was refreshing and slightly weird as I was expecting Daisy to tell this mystery (she normally narrates the short stories whereas Hazel narrates the novels) but both Hazel and Daisy told this story and it was interesting to see the two characters side by side and see how different and similar they are. 


I really should stop dipping in and out of this series and just go in with both feet. Which ones do you guys think I should try first? 

No comments:

Post a Comment