Thursday 23 March 2023

Murder Month 2023 - Bones Are Forever

I don’t often read the same author back-to-back. I normally like to have a little break between finishing a book by an author and starting another book by the same author. But with Kathy Reichs, I thought I would be safe as she’s one of my fave crime/thriller authors. Plus, am audiobooking. I should be ok to audiobook the same author twice in a row, right?

Title and Author: Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs
Publisher: Random House Audiobooks
Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: Audiobook borrowed from library audiobook app
Buy from (Affiliate): Bookshop.org

So, here we are, with the 15th outing of Temperance Brennan (Cold Cold Bones was the 21st, so I jumped backwards). In Quebec, forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan is asked to a scene where the body of a baby is found in a vanity cabinet. While there, two more bodies of mummified babies are discovered. When it is discovered that babies didn’t died of natural causes, the hunt to find the mother is on. When all the evidence leads Brennan and the detectives to a desolate diamond-mining town on the edge of the Arctic Circle called Yellowknife, the investigation takes a sharp turn and Brennan finds that the mother of the three dead babies might be a stone cold monster like she thought…

I go through spells with Tempe’s cases. Some I get obsessed with and thoroughly enjoy whereas others I find a bit of a slog and a bit hardwork. Bones Are Forever falls under the latter.

It’s not say that this was a bad thriller. It wasn’t. It ticked all the boxes with me. Short punchy chapters, engaging characters, twists galore!

And yet… this felt like a totally different animal to me previous readings of Tempe. This book felt like hard work and, at times, it felt like I was reading different characters. They were behaving so different. It felt, at times, that the writing was trying too hard to make the characters be the characters of older novels, rather than letting them grow and evolve (something I saw in later novels, including Cold Cold Bones).

Also, at time, it felt a tad textbook-like. It felt as if Kathy Reichs, after discovering all this information, had to share every little detail with the reader, even when it wasn’t needed or wanted. And, because of the info-dumping moments, the pacing slowed down a lot and it took a while (for me, at least) a little while to get back into the groove of the story.

Am going to be honest, this wasn’t my fave outing with Tempe. It felt like the book was trying too hard for my tastes. Am glad that I’ve audiobooked this as been curious about this title for a while, but am glad I have a few other novels (books near start of the series and more up-to-date) that, hopefully, will be more up my street with this series… I don’t want to give Tempe up just yet…

No comments:

Post a Comment