Monday 17 August 2015

4 Weeks of Summer - Bones on Ice

As your guys are probably aware, I am a bit of a fan of Kathy Reichs. So, of course, when I discovered this novella, I wanted to read it. I wanted something to fly through before I returned to my Harry Potter 2015 Reading Challenge and then, after that, attack the ARCs that needed my undivided attention (which is gonna fail. I know that now).

The daughter of a powerful and wealthy family has been missed on Mount Everest for the past three years. Until the earthquake happened, no one could get to the body and bring her in to confirm it is the daughter.

And the family wants only one person to identify the body: Tempe Brennan.

Though reluctant to take the case, Tempe soon discovers that there's something wrong with the body. What if it wasn't an accident, like everything thinks?

For some unknown reason, this novella seemed meaty compared to Kathy's previous. Maybe it's me - it has been a while since I have read Bones In Her Pocket and Swamp Bones. But this novella was very interesting. Yes, it does follow the same pattern as Kathy Reichs's previous works (this could be seen as a bad thing for some people - Tempe takes a case, get too involved and, because of this, puts herself in mortal danger), but I found the whole story of someone being frozen fascinating.

Like I said, some people might not like the pattern of the story as it follows Kathy's writing pattern. But I like this pattern. What I found a tad annoying was the ending. It felt rushed for some reason.

I did like this and I think other Kathy Reichs fans will like it, as it has a sample chapter of her latest novel, Speaking in Bones. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but this might be a good place to start with you want to try Kathy Reichs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment