Tuesday 2 July 2024

Library Audiobook WatchList - The Crime Edition

You can blame @yorkshirebook48 for this post as, a few days ago, they tweeted and asked what our fave crime book was. I answered with the first two adult crime thrillers that I read/devoured: Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs and Body Double by Tess Gerritsen. But after I answered, I read other people’s replies to see what they say and see if any titles/covers catch my eye and, if so, put them on my “”Reading Lists”. Let’s say I add quite a bit on there…

And my “Reading List” is now getting a little longer (with a mix of audiobooks that have connections to NetGalley proofs, books I have purchased or have been gifted [by publishers or by friends/family] and lots that I just like the look/sound of), I wanted to share some with you. There are a mix of genres, but I will try and keep this post as close to the crime & mystery genre as possible and, if I enjoy writing this, I will try and do another post in the coming weeks leaning towards fantasy or something else…

So, where to begin?


Let’s start with one of the title that inspired this post, shall we? We Begin At The End by Chris Whitaker. It feels like everyone who loves reading crime fiction has read and adored this book. I know very little about this, expect that I think it’s set in Australia. I have actively stayed away from this title and knowing too much about it. Not sure if this is because I have plans to read this or if I didn’t want to fall for the Hype Train, but I am wondering if I should bite the bullet on this one… 

Body Language by A.K. Turner is another crime on my “Maybe One Day” list. I mean, LOOK AT THAT COVER! Isn’t it creepy as heck! Plus, the first line of the blurb is “For fans of Tess Gerritsen and Kathy Reichs comes a gripping duvet thriller Camden’s most exciting new forensic investigator” which speaks to me SO MUCH! I don’t think I need to knew any more about this, do I? It’s a series (three books so far, I think), so I won’t get bored. 

A title that I saw people message @yorkshirebook48 about is Time is Running Out by Michael Wood. This is, I believe, the 8th book in the DCI Matilda Darke series (the first being For Reasons Unknown). The cover of Time Is Running Out has a school shooting vibe but I’m not sure if this is the case. From what I have read, this starts with our main character receiving a call and, thinking it’s a prank, dismisses it. But it looks like the call was genuine and a lone gunman is on the rampage…

Lin Anderson is a title I keep seeing on the Library audiobook app and the first book in their Rhona MacLeod series, Driftnet, is on my radar. There is no write-up on this (thanks BorrowBox), but it involves our lead being a forensic scientist and set in Scotland (Glasgow, I believe), so am all over this. Plus, it’s a long running series so, if I like, I shall dip in and out… 

Now, everyone seems to know who LJ Ross is and their DCI Ryan mystery series, starting with Holy Island, but for some reason, I’m a little scared to try this. I have no idea why as, from everyone’s reviews, I would really enjoy this series, but am hesitant. It seems a tad heavier than what I usually read, but I am willing to give this author a try. Any recommendations on where to start with this author and her works would be HUGELY helpful and would be most grateful. 

Now, there are a few titles people mentioned that aren’t on my library, but I might treat self to am my Kindle (because why not!). The first being Sea State by J.M. Simpson. This is the first book in the Castleby series and the series revolves round the local community’s lifeboat crew (something I have never seen before). It’s an indie series (five books), but all sound good so am going to investigate before I dive in (pardon the bad, unintended pun), but I am quite intrigued to discover more about this series… 

Let’s end with another series that seems to have suddenly come to my attention because of this thread. Maggie Jamieson series by Noelle Holten. It’s starts with Dead Inside, but it’s the second book in the series, Dead Wrong that people were talking about. Now, I am planning to maybe do a Crime reading month (September, maybe?) so I might audiobook/read them both but the first tackles the murder os domestic violence abusers while the second tackles a serial killer who is committing murders behind bars (a copycat? An apprentice? Or something far more sinister?), but these am perfectly creepy for me. 

Let’s end the post there (I could go on forever with crime/thriller titles! For example, I spotted a book on Prime Reading which intrigues me HUGELY so going to add that to my “To Read” list…). I might do another post similar to this, but maybe fantasy/sci-fi/something VERY outside my comfort zone. Any thoughts…?

No comments:

Post a Comment