Monday 9 April 2012

Chris Weitz - Movie Director, Producer, YA Writer...

News has hit me that one of my fave directors, Chris Weitz, has signed a publishing deal with Little Brown to publish a "post-apocalyptic young adult trilogy" in Spring 2014. According to the EW article in question, the publishers feel that Chris's "...work on film adaptations of young adult titles makes him especially plugged into the genre."

The trilogy, The Young World, has been given the following information:

The Young World is the gripping first installment of a trilogy set in the not-so-distant future in a post-apocalyptic New York City following the catastrophic destruction of the world as we know it. An unknown trauma has left every child and adult on earth dead, but, for unknown reasons, teenagers are spared. Anyone between the onset of puberty and the age of twenty-one are in a world with no authority figures. And while that world would normally be a teenager’s fantasy, this world has no heat, running water, television, video games, phones, or Internet. Teenagers are the heirs to a world brought back to the Stone Age, and now they must learn to master it in order to survive.

So, what do you guys think? This reminds me vaguely of the TV show, The Tribe (Not heard of it? Here's the Wiki Info), but am intrigued over what Chris writes.

What are your reactions?

1 comment:

  1. I was trying to think where I've seen this before, and when you mentioned the Tribe - bingo!

    I'm all for more dystopian in the world, and will no doubt read it when it's published, but it also pushes my buttons a little bit when people think that they can do everything. To me, movie stars should stick at acting, singers should stick to singing, politicians to stuffing things up, and the same goes for directors and producers. It also makes me wonder...fame gets you a book deal. What about all those people out there who are trying their hardest and not getting anywhere?

    I guess only time will tell, and I really hope that Chris proves me wrong!

    ReplyDelete