Thursday 8 September 2016

Audiobook Review - The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner

When I was offered to review the audiobook of this, I jumped at the chance. I am only just getting into the late Terry Pratchett's writing so seeing this intrigued me. A collection of short stories for younger readers? Sold.

Follow-up to the previous collection, Dragons at Crumbling Castle, this collection of fourteen short stories - including one or two that inspired Terry's later stories. Short stories that range from wizards, talking statues, a town in the the Wild Wild West (of Wales), gnomes, trolls, and a time-travelling TV to name but a few...

This is quite a short audiobook - just under 4 hours - and it was a fast listen for me (a shock for me, but with me cycling to and from work the past few days, it made the cycle fun!). And I loved how short and bitesized each story was.

This collection is of Terry's early short stories, taken from the local newspaper he worked at. And while I liked these stories, a tiny part of me felt a tad uneasy over this collection. I'm not sure why, but I could help but feel a hint of cashing in on this. I'm not sure why I felt this way - I hope am being a little sensitive over this but I couldn't shake that feeling away.

There are some stories in here I liked more than others - The Blackbury Park Statues is my favourite out of these. And these stories are aimed for a younger audience - middle grade readers (oh, how I disliked this term) but I think most Terry Pratchett fans will enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment