Tuesday 6 September 2016

Book Review - The Art of Kubo and the Two Strings

What is it with me and art books linked to films? Am a complete sucker for them. I have no shame in admitting that.

So, when I received a copy of The Art of Kubo and the Two Strings from the lovely people at Abrams and Chronicle, I was very surprised. They know I enjoy these types of books, but to receive this without me talking about the movie or asking was a nice surprise. I mean, I only discovered a trailer for this movie about three or so months ago. Am very new to discovering this.

Kubo looks after his mother in a cave by a fishing village. But when someone from her past appears, his mother sends Kubo to safety using magic Kubo never knew she had. Because of this, he must search for his fallen father's armour to face his family's dark secret to set himself and his mother free...

This is an arty book. No story in here. But what I love about these type of books is the level of detail and research that goes into these story. This story is set in Japan so the research and the detail that the production company went into - looking at pictures from The British Museum and Victoria & Albert Museum, learning about culture and history, understanding and learning origami, costume design and textile research - I found very interesting. And seeing the illustrations of the movie - concept art, statues, photos, origami/paper statues, etc - it was a lovely insight to how this movie was made.

I would say, like all of these The Art of [Insert Movie Title Here] books, buy or read this after you've seen the movie. There are a few spoilers about how the movie will end and a few things that would be considered spoilery. And we don't want to spoil you if you are going to watch the movie now, do we?

But I enjoyed myself reading this and drooling over the art. And, as in a good mood, will show you some of my favourite pages...




No comments:

Post a Comment