Friday 28 July 2017

Missing YALC. Again.


So, it's here. One of the best weekends if you are a YA reader/blogger/publisher/author/etc. It's YALC (aka Young Adult Literature Convention). Imagine Comic-Com, but for books and for teens and you have a vague idea.

And I was meant to go this year. I REALLY WAS! But life got in the way. Again.

Ok, backstory time. I went back in 2015 because I was asked, very kindly, if I wanted to do involved in a small group/panel in the corner to talk about blogging. I was up with Laura from SisterSpooky and Michelle from Tales of Yesterday and we chatted about getting started in book blogging (Laura and Michelle were wonderful and gave insightful advice. I laughed nervously and joked that I made a mistake, came out of the wrong elevator and was only there because I was promised a hot chocolate...). And, after us, Jim from YA Yeah Yeah, Vivienne from Serendipity Reviews and Lucy from Queen of Contemporary were chatting more about blogging but giving more information, details and more insight.

After that, I walked round the stalls, listened to some chats, hugged a lot of book blogger pals and squealed/sloth-hugging at authors such as CJ Daugherty, Patrick Ness and Juno Dawson (who wore an AMAZING cosplay of Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones, AND I CAN'T FIND THE PICS ON MY PHONE!!!). and it was such a cool time. A long days due to train delays and getting lost (but seeing loads of Doctor Who cosplays, and several of Belle from Beauty and the Beast and Loki! From a far but still!) but I wanted to go back. I knew I wanted to, but I had to figure dates out.

Last year, though I wanted to go, things didn't work out. Dates clashed with family/friends so I decided that 2017 was the year I was going. THIS YEAR, I WILL GO!!!

And I was. I had it all planned and had ideas. I was going to go on the Friday (no idea why, but I was going to book day off work and get to London super early that morning to meet up with you guys!) But then, real life got in the way. Again. Mainly money. Basically, being a grown-up and paying for rent is a pain.

So, am putting this on hold for next year. NEXT YEAR, 2018, I WILL TRY MY HARDEST TO GO TO ONE DAY OF YALC (unless something happens which ruins my plans...).

But I want to say to you all who are going to YALC this weekend have a wonderful time. Have fun, read exciting books, drink plenty of water and stay safe. Maybe next year, I'll be with you guys... But this year, am with you in spirit (and Twitter).

No comments:

Post a Comment