Wednesday 12 July 2017

Changing My Mind

As you guys know, I struggled with Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas a few years ago. I actually went back and reread my review/post about my time and I wrote that, while it was a struggle, I did like it. Towards the end. But if you ask me my thoughts on that book and my reading experience, I would say "A hard slog". It was a struggle to say to say the least.

This explains why I keep putting off Crown of Midnight. I know, one day, I'll read it. Just because I want to see if I can and if I get into the story more. Have forgotten near everything from Throne of Glass so will be returning to this world blind.

But that didn't stop me from trying. Just before A Court of Thorns and Roses came out, I was lucky to get an eProof of it. A retelling of Beauty and the Beast? With faeries? And it's New Adult - an age group I've not read much/anything in? Where do I sign up?

But within two chapters, I DNFed it. I didn't click with the writing, hated the main character's family and wasn't exactly a fan of the main character herself. Plus, with rumours that there was a few sexual scenes coming up later in the book that can/have been read as non-consental via drink and drugs, this threw me out into a "No way in hell am I reading this!"

And I still hold those views. Let me make this clear. I don't want to read this if out

But something happened a few days ago when I wasn't feeling well: I was listening to a podcast (Read That F***ing Book) and, hearing their reactions and thinking of everyone's reaction, I thought "Did I judge this too harshly? I only read two or three chapters and I went so against it". So, probably because of the cold meds am taking taking, I saw a free eSampler of A Court of Thorns and Roses and downloaded it (it was free).

And I read the first four chapters. And I have something shocking to say - I kinda liked what I read.


I know! I'm in shock myself! I just thought "Will read these and that's it. Back to reading Invasion of the Tearling I go!" but I'm surprised how easily I clicked with the writing this time round and the start of the reimagining of this tale.

Maybe I did judge it too harshly. This is why it's important to form your own opinions. And, if your uncertain of a story, reread it at a later date and see how you feel about it then.

So, where does this leave me with this tale? I clicked with the writing now so should I try and go read this when I have the time (and my TBR pile is much MUCH less! I have a lot of books to read and, recently, been craving LGBT and thrillers!) or should I leave this alone and move on with my reading life?

Answer, dear reader: I have no idea. I know I won't be so harsh on Sarah J Maas as I was before, but there is still trouble in her books that makes me hesitated. The non-consental sex scenes in this, the non-consental use of drugs and alcohol and the diversity issue. OH! The diversity issue in Sarah J Maas's writing (from the looks of it, she writes mainly straight, white characters - something that I find very hard to believe in the worlds she's creating - this goes with all series, FYI).

So, while there are issues and issues I will be grinding my teeth over and hissing like an angry cat towards the skies about, I'm not going to rule reading this out completely. We shall see... Maybe one day... but that one day isn't today...

1 comment:

  1. I have the entire ACOTAR trilogy sitting on my bookshelf, but I have yet to get to it. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete