Friday 19 August 2011

GoodRead - The Perfect Murder (Unabridged Audiobook)

I saw this on iTunes and it was cheap. No other reason for why I got it. It was only afterwards I realised that this was a Quick Read - part of a range of short stories to promote reading in adults. I have read one or two of them and they are good introducions to authors who you haven't read, or a nice short story to waste two hours over…

I have never read a Peter James story. So, was intrigued over what he's like...

Victor and Joan have been married for almost twenty years. They can't stand the sight of each other. And now, Victor has had enough. To escape his wife and be with the call-girl that he is being to have strong feelings for, Victor is planning to kill her. But, by the looks of it, Joan has her own plans…

Who will get away with the perfect murder?

Right, first thing, this is not a novel. So, if you guys wants details on stuff or a lot of dialogue, you're not going to get it here. So much for that for the first three or four chapters, you get no dialogue whatsoever. And I am huge on dialogue in short stories (reading & writing them) so this was a tad jarring for me.

Another thing is characters. Both Victor and Joan were vile characters. Horrible characters, and this is a very brave thing for any writer to do. To have your main characters horrible. You don't relate to them. I can imagine some of you can related to their situation on some level. The level of being married and, on some days, wishing your partner ill. But this marriage was toxic and a good example on why, if it gets that bad, to LEAVE!

But I wonder if the author did this on purpose so the reader isn't on either Victor or Joan's side. We want them to fail in their schemes of murder or, if they did, to not get away with it. We want justice.

I'm not sure if was because of the story, the characters or the audiobook's reader - Paul Panting - but I didn't exactly click with the story. I didn't gel with it. It was fast read/audiobook but I didn't exactly feel like this story was anything special. Maybe this was the wrong story to introduce myself to this author...

No comments:

Post a Comment