Tuesday 8 March 2022

Audiobook Mini-Review - Beating About The Bush

Mini Review Time! And seeing as I blitzed through this audiobook with such speed, a mini-review seems about right. Hang on, let's get some details up so you know what's going on... 

Title and Author: Agatha Raisin: Beating Round The Bush by M.C. Beaton
Publisher: Constable
Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: eProof gifted by UK publisher via NetGalley in exchange for honest review/reaction, though borrowed audiobook via library's BorrowBox app. 

My first Agatha Raisin was Down the Hatch and, while this was a nice cosy-mystery, it didn't ball me over. I have heard that the characters were a little spiky. Especially the series lead, Agatha, who I knew was a chain-smoker, G&T drinking, hot tempered, vain, spiteful and has no filter. But in Down the Hatch, the characters were... well... nice. They were nice and a little soft. 

But here... here I felt was more what I was promised and I was much happier to read/audiobook this (the UK audiobook is narrated by Penelope Keith, which was a dream!). Agatha, while a little mellowed compared to her earlier adventures (yes, I'm going to back track the series as I enjoyed myself with these characters), still has no filtered, drinks and smokes too much and is on the lookout for romance. Plus, she surprised everyone with her unknown affections for donkeys - where did that come from!?

Ok, let's touch on the story. Agatha is driving from a possible private detective job, looking into shrubs by the side of the road and goes "Nice place to dump a body". Only to find a severed leg in said bush. Yes, it's fake, but there's something unnerving about it. And, not long after Agatha takes said job and wonders why someone who dump a fake leg, a murder takes place and elderly Mrs. Dunwiddy is murdered - by a donkey? 

Agatha's doesn't believe that. There's something shady going on at the factory who's hired her. Something very shady. And she's not careful, she might not hear the news of her friend and sometimes lover... 

This was fun. I enjoyed myself with this and the fact this was a cosy murder mystery with a lead that doesn't exactly fit the cosy murder mystery lead is quite refreshing. 

I can't really write more than this was fun. It was outlandish, funny and I do think I'm going to visit one of Agatha's earlier adventures (I keep eyeing Agatha Raisin and the Haunted House and . Not sure which one yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment