Tuesday 29 August 2023

Audiobook Review - Witches Aboard

I’ve been holding off reading/audio booking this Discworld novel. I wanted to do a few others before I tackled this one as this one intrigues me. I wanted to do one of the City Watch books (Guards! Guards!), a standalone (The Truth) or a Death novel (reread Reaper Man or try Soul Music). But, in the end, I had to read more of Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Oog. It would be rude not to!

Title and Author: Witches Aboard by Terry Pratchett
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: Audiobook borrowed via Library’s BorrowBox app  
Buy From (Affiliate): bookshop.org

Stories have powers, and we all know the fairy tales of our children: the shoe fits Cinderella, True Love’s kiss awakens the sleeping princess, the Yellow Brick Road leads to the Great City. But this is the Discworld, and stories take a life of their own. 

Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Oog and Magrat Garlick are tasked to travel to the city of Genua to stop a wedding and save the kingdom. Easy, right? But stories have power and how can you fight a Happily Ever After, especially one that has a glass slipper, a ball and a Fairy Godmother who is determined to get the happy ending, even if no one else wants it?

I have to say it: this might be my fave Witches stories so far, which makes me intrigued over the Witches outing. 

I am going to admit that i think it’s because I do enjoy Granny’s and Nanny’s company and, this time round, I seemed to like reading Magrat (though I do feel like that she, as a character, felt more fleshed out compared to her previous outing in Wyrd Sisters). All three really made the story as, yes, this book pokes fun at fairy tales in a deliciously fun way but it could only work with these characters and their no nonsense attitude (what they did to Sleeping Beauty made me cackle). 

I do think I’m in a bit of a reading/audiobook slump as I did struggle to get back to this at times. It felt like we took quite some time getting to Genua, so it felt like Terry was looking at what happens when us Brits go aboard and our attentions to other countries. Which was funny, but not exactly what I went into this book for. 

I did like this and I enjoyed the fun Terry poked at fairy tales and also at our Witches. I am planning to do the next install in the Witches series, Lords and Ladies (which I think is Pratchett tackling another Shakespeare, Midsummer Night’s Day). Not going to rush though I do want to try a few non-Witches titles in the next few months… 

No comments:

Post a Comment