Thursday 10 October 2013

#re3 - Sabriel

I am trying to do a hell of a lot more rereads so this is coming back more sooner than I thought (see the answer for question 2 for the reason why) and, today, I am going to talk about my #re3 of Sabriel by Garth Nix. 

So, let's get to it! 

WHY DID YOU REREAD SABRIEL?
After my last read (the review for that should have gone up earlier in the week and I'm not linking that in this so...), I couldn't seem to settled into a book for several days and I feared that I was falling into a reading slump. Then, the lovely Laure Eve (author of Fearsome Dreamer) suggested that I reread a book that I love yet challenges me. And Sabriel was my first choice.

WHAT WAS YOUR HONEST OPINION OF THIS BOOK WHEN YOU FIRST READ IT?
I loved this book! This came in the gap between Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling (3 years according to Wikipedia) and this came perfectly. It was dark, gothic yet gripping. I couldn't stop turning to pages and, I loved it so much, I bought the audiobook (read by Tim Curry)!

WHAT IS YOUR HONEST OPINION NOW THAT YOU HAVE REREAD THIS BOOK?
I am actually surprised how much I remembered and how much I forgot about this book. I remember the basic of the plot and I would remember scenes and lines from the book very well. I remember large amounts (though the entire) of the prologue.

But I forgot details. While I vaguely remember what happened in Chapter 17, I read the whole chapter going "I don't remember this. Or this. Nor this!". Or the children moment in Belisaere - I'm pretty certain I blocked that from my mind.

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO US?
I LOVE MOGGET! Sorry, but I think he's one of my fave characters!

I'm also surprised over details. Or lack. We get very little detail about Clayr (I know we get loads more in the sequel, Lirael) nor do we get much info about the legendary Wallmakers (again, this is corrected in the third book in the series, Abhorsen [if I remember correctly]) and, when this book was first published, this was meant to be a standalone. But I'm not complaining - from when I read this the first time and now, there's enough information for us to connect the dots.

BECAUSE OF THIS BOOK, WILL YOU REREAD ANY BOOKS WITHIN THIS SERIES?
Yes, I will. To my knowledge, the fourth book in this series - Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen - should be out late next year and I want to reread books 2 and 3 of the series - Lirael and Abhorsen - before then so I have a year to return to these. Which is good as I have completely forgotten what these two books are about!

No comments:

Post a Comment