Wednesday 23 February 2022

Trust Your Gut

Question: Have you ever been really excited for a book? Like, really excited for it and you kept putting it off because you wanted to savour it and, once you're ready, you start only to be thoroughly disappointed and annoyed that you spent your precious time and money on it? Well, this is what happened with me and with To Sleep In A Sea of Stars

If you go to my Goodreads review, you will see that I had so many, many issues with this and the main reason I powered on through is because I was buddy-reading this with Mo from PaperbackMo (if you're not following him on YouTube, please do) and, as we were both reading/audiobooking, we were chatting about our thoughts and while their words were much kinder than my bluntness, we both felt on the same page with one or two of our issues (pacing, length and needing a good old fashion edit!) 

This is why many of us within the book blogosphere (like I have said before, I use this term very loosely and widely as it covers vloggers, instagrammers, TikTokkers, podcasters, etc) say that if you're not feeling it, you can put the book down and either come back when you feel ready to or you can just quit and move on. There is no shame. Just like there is no shame if you decide to keep reading and see it through. No shame on whatever you decide. 

But what I do want to say is that your brain, heart or gut warn or tell you that this isn't working (whether that be books, TV, films, podcasts, etc), listen to them and make a decision that best suits you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment