Tuesday 22 November 2022

Another #SmallPressBigStories TBR


Another day, another #SmallPressBigStories TBR. Now, I kinda wanted to share some non-crime stories that have caught my eye and are on my radar. But when I sat down to have a think and look through my Goodreads, I realised that I have more crime and thriller stories from indie publishers than fantasy and something with magic. 

And as someone who sees fantasy books as his bread and butter when it comes to reading, this came as a shock. But I still wanted to show a few books on my radar as I want to show you guys that indie publishers can publisher gripping stories. You just need to know where to look...

The first book - well, collection of short stories - is The Mistletoe Murders and Other Stories by PD James, published by Faber and Faber. Yes, Faber is an indie publisher - same with Walker and Bloomsbury. And this collection has four short stories, all relating to Christmas. Two of which are linked to her main detective, Adam Dalgliesh. And this will be the December I will read this. Something feels right about reading short stories containing murder and ghost stories around Christmas. I wonder why... 

Speaking of creepy ghost stories, let's talk about one that has been on my TBR for a while, but am a little scared to read it due to the hype. The Spirit Engineer by AJ West, published by one of the oldest UK independent publishers (Duckworth Books), follows the life of William Jackson Crawford and famed medium Kathleen Goligher. One night, at a seance, something happens that places doubt in his heart and a seed of obsession in William's scientific mind. Could the spirits truly be communicating with him or is this one of Kathleen’s parlour tricks gone too far? This just calls me to me!

I have quite a few titles from Usborne. Yes, this is a family owned independent publisher. I have middle grade ghost stories, fantasy, thrillers. But the one I'm gonna chat to you about is Love Radio by Ebony LaDelle. Prince is a young DJ, acting like his knows it all, epically about love. But with him being a main carer for his ill mother and guardian to his younger brother, love isn't going to come up soon. Till he meets Dani, who doesn't have time for love... 

Middle grade alert! Now, this came on my radar by sheer fluke, but this sounds so much fun! Adam-2 by Alastair Chisholm (Nosy Crow) follows Adam-2, who has been locked in a basement for over two hundred years. When he manages to escape, the world has been ruined by civil war between humans and advance technology. And both sides want him...

Last one? And I won't say much as I doing plan to read this and the sequel in the coming months and I want to go in knowing as little about possible: Mina and the Undead by Amy McCaw. Published by UCLan Publishing, this has been described as Buffy meets Scream. Now, seeing as I have never seen Buffy or Scream as I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to horror, this intrigues and makes me feel a little unsettled. But, I am going to read this soon. Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment