Wednesday 9 October 2024

Library Audiobooks On Hold List

As I try to slowly ease myself back into book blogging and trying to to find the joy (I am now wondering if I should focus on this and my Twitter/X less in 2025 and focus more on Instagram, Goodreads and StoryGraph), I was thinking about the heck-ton of audiobooks I have to listen to. 

I have a good few on my Audible that I purchased. Same goes with NetGalley (audiobooks for review). But I do snoop on my local library’s audiobook app. In the past, I look to see if I can find the audiobook version of any NetGalley eProofs I have and, if I can find it, I do try to request and listen. 

But, as I am very much a mood reader, I have a tendency to request then change my mind and cancel my request, but I keep that title on “My Reading List”, which is very, very long and has a real mix of genres (fantasy, thriller, non-fiction, classics, etc), lengths and a nice mix of rereads and audiobooks I have never read before. 

Now, I know I wrote a post about this MONTHS ago (it was filled on crime audiobooks), but this time, I want to show you some titles that I know I’m going to listen to in the next few months and are currently either on hold for me or are downloaded on my phone.

The audiobook I am listening to now as I type is Getting Away With Murder by Lydia La Plante. This memoir that follows the life and the works of the powerhouse behind Prime Suspect, Above Suspicion, Trial and Retribution and Widows. I will be truthful with you, I have never read a Lynda La Plante, but as soon as I saw this on library app, I requested without much thinking and, within the first few minutes into the preface, I cackled out loud and went “Oh yes, this is gonna be a ride!”. I feel very guilty that, while I see some of her TV works, I haven’t read any of her books and, now, I have several titles on my radar. The two titles I am intrigued to try: Widows (narrated by Annie Aldington) and Above Suspicion (narrated by Kristin Atherton).

Second title on my library’s audiobook app is Here One Moment by Liane Moriarty. I have never read or watched a Liane Moriarty. No to watching Big Little Lies (though I am very tempted to try it, but I have heard one or two trigger warnings that make me go “Nope. This isn’t for me”), Nine Perfect Strangers (even though I’ve heard that this might not be the author’s strongest) and Apple Never Fall (now this sounds right up my street, though I only know one or two details and I really want to watch the TV series on BBC iPlayer). But with Here One Moment, I decided to read/listen this without knowing anything about it. So, barring the UK cover of the butterfly on rippling water, I know nothing and I plan to keep it that way! 

I can’t tell you how The Final Act of Juliette Willoughby by Ellery Lloyd got on my radar. I think it was very Book Twitter. I really like the cover as it gave me The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo vibes, but this book follows three murders that take place over three timelines (Paris 1938, Cambridge 1991 and Dubai present day) and the mysteriously lost self-portrait… 

I know I have a ton more audiobooks via my library’s audiobook app that I have my eye on (and yes, I will attack my ridiculously long list on my “Reading List”), but maybe I should tackle the audiobooks that are sitting, both patiently and furiously waiting, on my NetGalley and Audible apps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment