Sunday 22 March 2015

#re3 - Clockwork

As you probably know, I have been in a reading slump (something I hate! Will write a blog post on this in the future) so I have been, the past few days, reading very short stories/novellas to get out of it and I have, so far, managed to read two (The Fisherman's Net by Laura Lam and now, Clockwork [or All Wound Up] by Philip Pullman). And, barring my Harry Potter #re3 challenge, this is my first #re3 of the year so, yes, LET'S GET CRACKING WITH MY #RE3 QUESTIONS!

WHY DID YOU REREAD CLOCKWORK?
Reading slump. I fell into it and I just wanted to read something quite short till I got back on my reading feet. Plus, as part of the His Dark Materials Readalong with a few other bloggers, I wanted to read Philip Pullman before I reread Lyra's Oxford and The Collectors and read Once Upon A Time In The North.

WHAT WAS YOUR HONEST OPINION OF THIS BOOK WHEN YOU FIRST READ IT?
When I audiobooked this the first time, I really enjoyed it. I liked how, even though this was a middle grade book, how layered it was. How it hinted at little things and they grew over the short space of time the story took hold. Plus, I had discovered this book just after I discovered Northern Lights and The Subtle Knife so nothing could fault it at the time.

WHAT IS YOUR HONEST OPINION NOW THAT YOU HAVE REREAD THIS BOOK?
I can see that this is a middle-grade book. I am too old to read this, but I liked the little hints that mature readers got (for example, what happened to Fitz at the end of the book).

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO TELL US?
Unlike the audiobook, there is some sections of the story that is put in boxes (like footnotes) and you have to read them at just the right moment so it doesn't upset the flow of the story. But in the audiobook, they are slotted in perfect and as they are very short, it never felt upset and distracting.

BECAUSE OF THIS BOOK, WILL YOU REREAD ANY BOOKS WITHIN THIS SERIES?
As this is a standalone, no. But I am going to read Lyra's Oxford, The Collectors and Once Upon A Time in the North as part of the His Dark Materials Readalong as I am going to read more from this author. I might read Philip Pullman's younger-aiming books in the future. Maybe The Firework-Maker's Daughter...

No comments:

Post a Comment