Tuesday 30 April 2019

An Extract For Tea?

I have an extract for you today. And it's a change in pace/genre from what I usually scare you all with!

This extract is from Elaine Everest's newest novel, The Teashop Girls.

I warned you this was a change of pace from what the Pewter Wolf normally is, but sometimes, a change is as good as a rest!

Set in 1940 at the high of the Second World War, The Teashop Girls follows three friends - Rose, Lily and Katie - who work at Lyon's Teashop Nippy in Kent. With Katie's fiancĂ© overseas with the Navy and the war gripping the country, the three rely on their family and friends.

So, when a mysterious captain enters the teashop one day, Rose finds herself being drawn to him, much to Lyon's rule of no courting between staff and customers. But with a war on, Rose fears there might not be much time to lose in the course of true love. But is the dashing captain all he seems to be?

Before I hand you over to the intriguing extract, want to do some thank yous and point you in some directions if you want more info. My thanks goes to Bethan at ED PR for getting me involved with this tour and Sian who asked at the start if I wanted to be involved (before she left ED PR for bigger, brighter things!

Ok, now the links! If you want to say hi to Elaine, you can either say hi to her either on her Facebook (facebook.com/ElaineEverestAuthor) or her Twitter (@elaineeverest)! And if you want info on Teashop Girls, why not check out PanMacmillan!

Now... ONTO THE EXTRACT (once we've brewed ourselves a nice cuppa...

Rose looked up at the sound of tapping on her office door. ‘Come in,’ she called. 
The door was opened by a nervous-looking Nippy. ‘Miss Neville, there’s a policeman to see you,’ she said, before ducking backwards and scuttling away. 
‘Come along in,’ Rose smiled as the plain-clothes policeman held out his identity card. ‘How can I help you?’ She indicated the seat across the other side of her desk. The distraction was welcome; she had hardly been able to keep her eyes open today, after tossing and turning all night thinking of Ben. How dare he come to the dance and try to approach her? 
‘I’m Sergeant Thompson,’ the policeman said as he took a seat before opening a notebook, checking what he’d written. ‘I understand you have a Mrs Anya Polinksi working here?’ 
Rose’s heart missed a beat. ‘Yes, Anya works here. Please don’t say something has happened to her husband?’ 
‘I know nothing of her husband,’ he said in a gruff voice. ‘I’m here to inspect your personnel records and to ask how well you know this woman.’ 
‘Why – what has she done wrong?’ Rose asked, knowing in her heart of hearts that this had something to do with the internment of anyone not born in the country. Rumour had it that foreigners were being rounded up and moved away from Thanet. ‘Do you think she is a danger to people just because she is Polish? I thought the Polish were not only on our side, but their people were fighting with our air force and our army. It would be very inconvenient to have Mrs Polinski removed from my employ at this time, as she is a hard-working and valued member of staff.’ 
Sergeant Thompson looked taken aback. ‘Madam, I’m simply updating my records. Between you and me, I’m as concerned about this hounding of foreigners as as you seem to be. My eldest daughter is courting a fine young Polish man who works at Manston. He recently requested her hand in marriage. The wife would be none too happy to see him locked up for the duration. My life would not be worth living if that were to happen.’ 
Rose felt herself warm to the sergeant. ‘Would you like a cup of tea and perhaps a slice of cake? It’s no trouble at all,’ she added as she saw him waver. ‘I promise it isn’t a bribe for you to think kindly of our Anya.’ She grinned.

‘It would take more than that, Miss Neville. A pork pie at least,’ he laughed as she went to the door and called out to a passing Nippy to take the order.

No comments:

Post a Comment