Tuesday 21 May 2019

Audiobook Review - Printer's Devil Court

  • Title And Author: Printer's Devil Court by Susan Hill
  • Publisher: Profile Books
  • Physical, eBook or Audiobook: Audiobook
  • Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: Borrowed by BorrowBox & Essex Libraries
  • Length: 113 Pages or 1 Hour and 42 Minutes
I don't understand why, after all this time and the mental note to self to not read or audiobook a Susan Hill ghost story after being disappointed with my last outings (The Man in the Picture and The Small Hand), even though I was chilled with The Woman in White back in my early days of book blogging (ta-dah to the link if you are curious). But with me wondering if I should cancel my Audible subscription due to money and seeing if Essex Libraries do really good audiobook selection. While I'm not thrilled by the selection which is really smaller than I hoped and expected, but when I saw this, I thought I would use this as an experiment. 

A mysterious little manuscript has appeared on the stepson of the late Dr Hugh Meredith. In it, he writes about a chilling events that happened years ago when he was training as a junior doctor near London's Fleet Street. Living with two other medics, they ask for his help with their research...
This just confirms that me and Susan Hill ghost stories just don't get on as I came away with this with the feeling of "meh". It was just meh. And that annoyed me as this had elements and some of the writing style choices that would have made a wonderful ghost chiller. 

Now, as you know, I am not a horror reader and I do like a more psychological scare. There were one or two moments I did feel a bit tense in my stomach as something was being to creep and unnerve, but it never lasted long. It felt like this would freak me out, but it always felt like it missed the mark and I think this is why I feel quite underwhelmed by it. 

I think I am done with Susan Hill's ghost stories (though I said this last time!) as I always seem to come away underwhelmed and not feeling the ghostly fingers at the back of my neck or curling round my stomach or heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment