Thursday 25 February 2021

eBook Review - Me, My Dad And The End of the Rainbow

I don't feel like I need to say much about this book as this book seems to be EVERYWHERE! So, I should really be writing this as, I bet, you've already know about this and it's either on my To Be Read stack, on your radar or you've already read it. 

So yep. Little behind the times on this one. But when I first heard of this, I knew I had to read it and talk about it on here so, bear with me while I get info and we can talk, dear reader. 

Title And Author: Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow by Benjamin Dean

Publisher: Simon and Schuster

Physical, eBook or Audiobook: eBook

Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: eProof gifted by UK publisher in exchange for honest review/reaction. 

Length: 352 Pages


Archie Albright's life has been turned upside down since his parents separated and, when they do get together, they seem to fight all the time. And they're both hiding something from him. So when his dad reveals that he's gay, Archie has a hundred questions he's can't find the words to ask and isn't sure how to feel, react or is scared of things changing. But when he discovered a flyer for London Pride, he think this might help reconnect him and his dad and build his family together... but to go, he and his two best friends, Bell and Sea, might have to break some rules...

What a gloriously wonderful Middle Grade story! It was such a joy to read!

We had a story with Black lead characters, LGBT+ issues and characters with a lot of diversity (I have read several reviews from other reviewers saying some characters show signs of anxious and one character maybe being autistic). All of this being tackled beautifully for the target audience. Same with the issue of divorce and showing that adults/parents aren't perfect. Plus, this was funny. I chuckled multiply times while reading this because I got Archie's humour and I remember myself thinking exactly the same thing when I was younger. 

Yes, there are one or two tiny niggles I had with this (it's me. Of course I spot things that niggle at me), but I get why these issues are in the story and written in the way it was. And yet, this book was a joy to read and these niggles didn't effect my reading. 

I loved this book and can't wait to see what Benjamin Dean writes next! 

1 comment: