Sunday 12 April 2015

#UKYADay

HAPPY UKYA DAY!!! Today, a bunch of bloggers (spearheaded by the lovely Lucy from Queen of Contemporary) want to chat about UKYA. So, I am here about to chat about some UKYA books that I think would be ace as a TV show or a movie.

Now, to save myself some grief, I won't mention books who's TV/film rights have been bought or been turned into web series (so nope to Patrick Ness's A Monster Calls or Night School series by CJ Daughtery, to name a few).

First book I think would be ace as a TV drama is Cruel Summer by James Dawson. Now, I think any James Dawson book would be perfect for TV, but at the time of typing this post, I have a soft spot for Cruel Summer. Perfect for those fans of ScreamI Know What You Did Last Summer and Harper Island, Cruel Summer takes the slasher genre and puts a twist on it that I think would be perfect for BBC Three or E4 as a mini-series (only 3 or 4 episodes).

Another author I think would make great TV is Tanya Byrne and both her books, Heart Shaped Bruise and Follow Me Down, would make gripping dramas. While Heart Shaped Bruise would rival Revenge, Follow Me Down would make an interesting whodunnit, similar to the style of How To Get Away With Murder, with the story jump forwards and backwards in time until we get the Event and the truth about what happened...

I know, technically, this is a Middle Grade book but am throwing this in here as this has to be turned into a TV series. This would work so perfectly as a family drama. And that is Wild Boy by Rob Lloyd Jones.

Now, let's chat about soem UKYA that would be fab as movies. My first is a trilogy, The Name of the Blade by Zoe Marriott. Merging Japanese mythology with modern day London, with live action acting and subtle CGI (am thinking Studio Ghibli), I think this would make a gripping trilogy of movies.

Pantomime by Laura Lam would, also, make a good movie choice. A high fantasy story set in the world of the circus with a lead character that I don't think we have seen in film before, this could make a gorgeous indie movie in the same style as Mirrormask.

I have a few other UKYA books that I think would make great viewing, regardless of their genre - Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner, Mirror Dreams by Catherine Webb, Daylight Saving by Edward Hogan, Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson - but am curious over what UKYA books you think would make great TV/film/radio/web series? Leave a comment down below or tweet using the hashtag #UKYADay on Twitter and share the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment