Saturday 6 June 2015

GoodRead - One

Ok, I have no idea where to start with this. I finished One by Sarah Crossan earlier today and I can't stop thinking about it so I decided to break my rule of waiting a day or two before writing this post and write it now. 

Now, this was very kindly sent to me by Bloomsbury super early (this isn't out till 27th August) in a hot pink envelope with watermelon chewing gum. I was planning to read this book as it sounded very interesting and unique, but in the last few weeks, I have seen several book bloggers devouring this book and, knowing that my current read of To Hold The Bridge by Garth Nix was going to take a while to read, I thought I would read this on the side.

Grace and Tippi are sisters. Twins. Conjoined twins. And their world is going to shift when they find out that they can no longer be homeschooled. They must go to school, out in the world where there will be stares, sneers and cruelty. But what if they could find their way in the world? Find real friends? Find love? What then?

And what if something terrible to coming towards them? What if the sisters have to make a decision that could rip them apart forever?

Ok, let's get something out of the way first. This book is written in free verse. This is something I rarely/never read. I'm not sure why, but One seems to be my first novel written in this style. And I loved it written this way. I was shocked by how few words had me gripped and hooked so quickly. This style suits this story and makes the story flow.

Another thing I really liked about this book was the subject it tackles. It hints at problems - family dramas, friendship, first love - but at its core, this book looks at Tippi and Grace. It has sisters at its heart and their relationship. The fact that they are conjoined twins is forgotten very quickly to the reader (aka myself) until something happens when it comes crashing back and I found myself covering my mouth...

I loved the use of language used. There's a quality to it that reminds me of when I first read If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I know other bloggers have compared this book to Jandy Nelson. So fans of Gayle or Jandy need to preorder this once you have the funds!

I know this is a very positive post and I should have something bad to say, but I just fell in love with this book. I think it's one faultless read and I can't wait till it comes out in August so you can read it and tell me what you think of this...!

No comments:

Post a Comment