Friday 10 August 2018

eBook Review - Hard Truths

  • Title And Author: Hard Truth by Alex Whitehall
  • Publisher: Riptide Publishing
  • Physical, eBook or Audiobook: eBook 
  • Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: Gifted by publisher via NetGalley
  • Length: 212 Pages

Like I said in my write-up of Mysterious Mr Quin, I went through a bit of a spell with the blog, real life and reading in general. So, I decided that I wanted to read something fast, fluffy and something that didn’t involve much thinking. 

Sometimes, we all need a candy-floss, beach read. 

It was going to be one of two NetGalley eProofs: either this or Tight Quarters by Annabeth Albert. I  leaned this way more as I believe this is shorter out of the two stories. 

Isaac didn’t expect to fancy his sister’s date at the Christmas dinner at his parents. But when her date hits on him, Isaac decides to tell her what happened at once - only to find out that her date is a fake date. They aren’t dating and that Logan is gay as well, and wants to see him again. 

As the two begin to date, Isaac has to find a way to come out to his “unworldly” parents. Coming out to them could mean losing his family. Unfortunately, he can’t see his real family who are right beside him and, if Isaac isn’t carefully, he could lose everyone around him… 

Ok, where do I start with this adult gay romance? 
Well… I read this over the course of two days during the World Cup. Yep. That’s how fast I read it. Two days. That it kinda helped with me wanting to read a sorbet story. It refreshed my reading pallet (which is probably why I half-fell, half cling-to-dear-life) and it was nice to have something I could power through, or something that I wanted to read in such a short space of time. 

But there are problems. This book, I feel, does have some triggers that some readers will want to know in advance. This is with Isaac and his sister’s, Sue’s, parents. They are not great parents with how they treat both children and their views can be seen as a bigoted. No, let me rephrase that. They ARE bigoted. Also, as you read a paragraph or two back, Isaac hasn’t come out to his parents (which he does at some point during the book), and their reactions are negative and dangerous, so if your trigger is a negative coming out or with emotional/physical abusive parents, avoid or read this with caution. 

It’s an ok read, and it did what I wanted it to do. Refresh my reading pallet and getting self ready to get my teeth into something a little more meatier (though I am planning to read a lot more fun and more grown-up stories in the future…)

No comments:

Post a Comment