Sunday 5 August 2018

I'm Back (Again)

Well… that blog break throughout most/all of July kinda came out of nowhere, didn’t it? 

What happened? What called this blog break, I hear none of you ask. 

It was a mix of things, truth be told. 

As you lovely readers know if you follow me on Twitter for the past few months, I seem to be having a lot of reading slumps recently and I’m not 100% sure why. I’m reading pretty much what I always read, but it feels like recently these types of reads are are feeling a bit predictable. Not the stories fault, but because am reading some much of the same thing in a short space of time, am hitting a wall. Because of this, I had to take a step back from reading these types of books in the timeframe I usually give myself to read (another reason why I keep having reading slumps recently - am putting too much pressure on self to read books within a certain timeframe and that’s not gonna work, Andrew. You should know better). 

Another reason (and probably a blessing in disguise - let me know explain what in next paragraph) is that fact me and my Other Half bought a house together! That’s right. We bought a house - we have mortgage now! That’s a terrifying thing to write, but stay with me. So, for a good few months, was thinking about the new house, about moving, buying new furniture, telling people my new address (if you need my new address, publishers/authors/PR people/etc, email/DM me and let me know!). So I had that brain on. 

But, here’s the good thing, because I was doing this with my Other Half, I had time away from reading/writing up stuff for blogs/worrying about Pewter Wolf. Because for several weeks, I was worrying about The Move and, after that, I was worried about settling into new place, then the heatwave messed up my reading plans, then I was/am thinking bout people's big birthdays! And all this weirdly helped my reading, because for a first few weeks, I wasn’t reading. I was taking a book break without realising it, and when I did finally return to reading/audiobooking, I wasn’t pressuring myself to reading one certain thing. I was creeping slowly back and was reading things that grabbed my interest that day. I didn’t put pressure on myself to read x,y or z because of one reason or another. I just read whatever I fancied and not having that pressure was wonderful.

So, am going to try and do that a little more. Try not to pressure myself into reading x,y or z if I’m in the mood for w instead. I’m not going to try and read something within a two week window. If it takes longer, it takes longer. I’m going to try and not worry. Am going to try and be more flexible. 

So, you might notice a few changes happening to the Pewter Wolf. It might be layout, what I read, what I write about, more use of my social media over what I read/audiobook next (polls a-hoy!), how often blog posts go up. Am just going to be more calm over this and find a nice balance between blogging/reading and my life in general. And I hope you guys stay and see what happens. You might like it, you might not, but you know what, let’s see where we all go. I have no idea what’s gonna happen to the Pewter Wolf, but am weirdly excited to find out. 

Anyway, I’m back. Have you missed me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment