Monday 9 March 2020

eBook Review - The Cat Who Went Underground

  • Title And Author: The Cat Who Went Underground by Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Publisher: Headline
  • Physical, eBook or Audiobook: eBook
  • Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: Bought
  • Length: 260 Pages

After the beginning of 2020, I seem to be reading a lot of thrillers and fantasy with a mystery element, haven’t I? So, after finishing my last physical read, Hideous Beauty by William Hussey, I wanted to read something on my kindle. Something light in tone but will ease me into reading more fun reads as I want March 2020 to be much lighter in my reading due to real life and lighter reads. 

So, when I saw this on my kindle, I went “Perfect!” A cozy murder mystery solved by cats! How on brand for me! 

In this, the ninth book in The Cat Who… series, Jim Qwilleran decides to go on holiday He’s going to spend the summer at his log cabin in Moose County. So, off he goes with his two Siamese cats, Koko and Yum Yum. Once there, Qwilleran realise that his cabin needs a bit of a patch up so hires a handyman. Only for him to vanish a few days later…

I don’t want to go any further than that as I have strong opinions about the blurb to the book as… well… how can I sum up my feelings about this? I know! A GIF WILL DO!!! 


I WAS SO BORED! Bored as NOTHING HAPPENS! NOTHING! This really felt like “This character’s goes on holiday and odd things happen, but nothing for you to worry about”. er… you saYs a handyman vanishes and you hint that a serial killer might be involved so… where is it? 

I’m sorry if I sound like I’m ranting but if I am going to read a crime - whether that be a hard-boiled detective or a slower, copier mystery, I am awaiting a murder to happen or a body to be discovered within the first half of the book, at least. You can’t hint of strange things such as disappearances and not have our lead go “How strange. I must look into it.” and only have him decide to investigate only when a body is discovered at 83%! And then, have him solve the murders (yes, MURDERS) 10 to 12% later! Sorry, but that’s 83% to 95%. What about the previous 82% and the last 5%?

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS BOOK?! 

Sorry for my rant, but I feel a little conned and cheated as a reader.


Some of you guys might like this slowness in pace - I get that, I do - but I need a bit of pace, a bit of urgency. And there were things I did like about this, don’t get me wrong, but I can’t help but feel that I have been mislead or tricked in some way…

No comments:

Post a Comment