Thursday 3 October 2019

Audiobook Mini-Review - Norse Mythology

  • Title And Author: Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
  • Publisher: Bloomsbury
  • Physical, eBook or Audiobook: Audiobook
  • Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: Borrowed from local library via BorrowBox
  • Length: 277 Pages or 6 Hours 29 Minutes

I won an Advance Reader Copy of this from the UK publisher, Bloomsbury, YEARS AGO. And I was super excited to read it. So much so, every time I picked it up, I was overcome by The Fear. You know which Fear I mean. The Fear of you hyped a book so much in your head that there is no way it’s going to live up to it. 

So I waited. And waited. And one of my friends (who has read it) was surprised I haven’t read it. So more waiting. Till I saw it on my library’s audiobook app (or BorrowBox) and went “If I’m going to do it, I going to do it now”. 

This is a reimagining of Norse Mythology, told in Neil Gaiman’s wit and style. There’s no other way to explain it. 

This is accessible retelling of some of the Norse Myths (I know most of lost, but I can’t believe these were all the myths). Plus, with this retelling, all the incest and rape was removed. This might not be a bad thing as, with Greek mythology, it’s everywhere. I mean, Zeus is a rapist. Let’s call a spade a spade, he is. 

I feel that this is aimed for a younger reader, those who are curious over Norse due to Marvel and it will come as a surprise how Odin, Thor and Loki are in Norse mythology compared to the Marvel films and graphic novels. 

But this is fun and I am curious to learn more about mythology. Plus, got a ton of Gaiman on my kindle, waiting to be read, so this might be a nice way to ease self in, but we shall see… 

No comments:

Post a Comment