Tuesday 22 October 2019

eBook Review - Wolf Brother

  • Title And Author: Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver
  • Publisher: Orion Children’s Books
  • Physical, eBook or Audiobook: eBook
  • Bought, Borrowed or Gifted: Bought
  • Length: 256 Pages

I’ve been quite excited over the recent news that Michelle Paver is writing new instalments in her Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. I’m not sure why but I had the funny feeling I had read the first book in the series, Wolf Brother. So, when I saw that the collection of the six books published so far was on Kindle for less than £4, I jumped at it and decided to reread Wolf Brother and, if I enjoy it, try and read each instalment every month before the newest, Viper’s Daughter, is published early next April. (FYI, I hadn't read Wolf Brother before so no idea why I thought I had!)

Thousand of years ago in the Stone Ages, in the Forest, 12 year old Torak has just seen his father being murdered. Murdered by a bear, which isn’t a bear at all, but a demon possessing the bear’s body. With his dying breath, Torak’s father makes Torak swear a vow: lead the bear to the mountain of the World Spirit and beg for its help. 

But Torak has no idea where the Mountain is or what he will have to do to get the World Spirit’s help. All he knows is that his Guide will help him. But can a small wolf cub, who’s whole pack died in a flash flood, really be Torak’s guide?

I haven’t read this book before. I want to make that clear before I go any further. The first few chapters read a vague bell but nothing after that, so I wonder if I read them in a sampler somewhere. You must forgive my memory. 

So... Wolf Brother… 

I devoured this book. Even I was shocked at how quickly I raced through this book, wanting to know what happened next. I read this just before my holiday that I had a few weeks ago (most of it on the plane, FYI!) and the plan was to read something completely off genre (crime or something super light) afterwards, but this book was so addictive, fun and on-the-edge-of-my-seat, I fell into a bit of a reading slump while on my hols. 

I don’t really have anything bad to say, which is very not-me as I always nitpick. Am annoyed I fell into a reading slump as I did consider reading one of Michelle’s adult novels, Wakenhyrst. But, alas, Torak and Wolf have stolen my heart and I fear I might be able to put this gothic thriller on hold till I howl the Stone Ages out of my system… 

No comments:

Post a Comment