Tuesday 7 February 2012

GoodRead - The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists

A random surprise from Bloomsbury, this was! And I like random surprises! And I decided to read this after getting an email from Ian, head of the Children's publicity. Why, I hear you ask? Well, in his email, he wrote "as you are clearly of a piratical nature" and this had me laughing my head off! How did he know my secret...?! ;P

So, The Pirates! In An Adventure with Scientists (the inspiration for the new Aardman movie and, yes, that is a LONG title) tells the story of the Pirate Captain and his pirate crew as they search the sea for adventure. After raiding a ship, they meet the young Charles Darwin who is in need of help. And the Captain Pirate agrees, leading the pirates back to London where they encounter a diabolical Bishop, grisly murders, vanishing ladies, a Man-panzee... and the joys of ham.

Now, I'm not sure how to review this book without going "This was awesome!" or "There's something about it that reminded me of the Worse Witch by Jill Murphy". So, I won't. It's one of those rare books where I found myself smiling as I read it as it was completely stupid and silly, utterly surreal and yet, wonderful!

Not much else to say. Expect I want to read more about the Pirate Captain. And his luxuriant beard...

2 comments:

  1. I think this would be a terrific addtion to the school library - I shall add it to my library wishlist immediately ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab post and I completely agree, now I can't wait for the film :)

    ReplyDelete