Tuesday 18 September 2012

GoodRead - The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit

I really wish I can turn round to you and say I bought this for my nephew (who I spoil rotten). I REALLY wish I could say that I bought this for him. But he's too young to read Beatrix Potter so this was for me!

You guys must read my blog and dread what book I'm going to read next...!

I always thought I was a Beatrix Potter fan. I loved Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, Jemima Puddle-Duck, Tom Kitten. I always thought that Mrs Tiggy-Winkle and Mr Jeremy Fisher would make the perfect couple (I have no idea why!). And my favourite tale by Beatrix Potter is The Tailor of Gloucester. So, when I heard that Emma Thompson was writing a "further tale", I decided to do some research... and discovered that I haven't read even half of the Beatrix Potter collection. I never even heard of Mr Tod, before Emma Thompson mentioned him in an interview!

So, The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit. Peter Rabbit is in low spirits. He sneaks into Mr McGregor's garden to discover a picnic basket. Hiding inside for a sleep, he wakes up to discover that he's in Scotland and is face to face with a giant black bunny, Finlay McBurney...

Now, this must be a daunting challenge for both Emma Thompson and the illustrator, Eleanor Taylor. To write and draw a new story and, at the same time, capture the spirit and essence of Beatrix Potter. And, dare I say it, I think they both do it while, at the same time, being themselves.

I know some of you have told me that the story, in your opinion, has a slight politic edge, but I didn't see it. It must have been blindsighted by the illustrations, which are so pretty. I will put some below.

But I really like this. I think this will fit the Beatrix Potter stories really well and with Emma Thompson being asked to write a further two tales (thanks theBookseller.com for the heads-up), I'm sure young fans of the book will love this and the further tails... sorry, tales.


(Oh, how I love this close up! So cute!)



PS - I just went on the official Peter Rabbit website and they are giving away a copy of The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit. Closing date is 31st October 2012 so if you want to enter, go here!

No comments:

Post a Comment